Delicious natural fruit and nut bars made with 100% whole foods. These nutritious snack bars are packed with walnuts, dates, raisins and sunflower seeds and are naturally sweetened with dates and raisins. They contain no refined sugar and are suitable for a gluten free and grain free paleo diet. They taste delicious too!
Sometimes when you follow a gluten free diet you want a quick snack. Instead of reaching for a gluten free version of a classic like a sandwich with specially manufactured gluten free bread or barley free cereal it is just nice to start with something that is naturally grain free like these snack bars.
Each ingredient is packed full of goodness with no hidden nasties. This is a snack that is high in omega 3 and 6, high in protein and minerals and sweetened only with natural fruit.
These gluten free bars contain:
Sunflower seeds. These are little seeds that are packed with vitamin E and are a vital source of B vitamins. Vegans know how important these are for keeping topped up on nutrition from alternatives to animal products. They also are rich in iron, magnesium and calcium.
Walnuts. These are packed with vitamin B6 and magnesium as well as being an important source of antioxidants. They are also full of protein, copper and manganese and omega 3 fats.
Raisins. They are full of fibre and all the important minerals like iron, potassium and copper. They are also naturally sweet and provide this recipe with a natural source of sugar.
Dates. These treats have been uses in cooking for centuries to add a sweetness and luxurious taste to foods that has been forgotten in recent years. The soft texture works very well in this recipe and act as a binder to bring everything together.
How to make these grain free snack bars
To make these bars you will need a food processor or chopper. Even a spice grinder will work but you will need to work in smaller batches if using one.
Start by blitzing the nuts and seeds. Remove from processor bowl and set aside while you make the fruit into a rough paste.
Next you will need to process the fruit. Add to the processor bowl and blitz until the fruit is broken down and turned into a paste. The mixture should come together to form a ball around the processor blade.
Transfer to a bowl with the nuts and seeds and mix together with the vanilla. This is easiest by using your hands to bring all the beautiful ingredients together. But a wooden spoon is fine too.
Press the mixture into a loaf tin and cut into bars and you are done. Super easy and quick and you will have snack bars for the whole week.
Keep these healthy snack bars in an airtight container in the fridge to keep fresh. They should last for up to 7 days (if they don’t get all eaten first!).
No Bake Raw Seed, Nut & Date Bars - Sugar Free, Gluten Free Clean Eating & Vegan
- 1 cup dates
- 1 cup raisins juicy flame raisins work great
- 1 cup walnuts
- 1 cup sunflower seeds
- 1 tbsp natural vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon optional
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds
- Add the walnuts and the seeds together into a food processor or spice grinder. Pulse for a couple of minutes until you have a fine meal texture. The consistency should look like breadcrumbs. Transfer to a mixing bowl.
- In your food processor, add the fruit and process. The fruit should be broken down and will even form a sort of dough ball.
- Transfer to the mixing bowl and add the vanilla extract and cinnamon (if using). The vanilla will add some moisture to the mixture and help to bring it together.
- Mix with a wooden spoon or your hands if you find it easier.
- Once the mixture is fully combined you can press the mixture into a loaf tin.
- Pack down and sprinkle over sesame seeds to finish.
- Chill in refrigerator for four hours until set.
- Cut into bars and serve.
Made these with my 11 year old daughter. We left out the cinnamon because we didn’t have any, but will definitely add it next time. We liked the texture and sweetness. Much like a sort of raw cookie dough recipe. We really liked. Even my daughter went back for seconds.